- Maintenance of all Village Streets
- Street Sweeping
- Traffic Control and Signage
- Traffic Control for Emergency Services and Approved Events
- Bridge and Culvert Maintenance
- Mowing and Noxious Weed Control on Public Right of Ways and Properties
- Snow Removal and Ice Control
- Mosquito Abatement
Section 4-204: MAXIMUM TIME LIMIT
- The parking of a motor vehicle on a public street for over seven consecutive days is unlawful, except where a different maximum time limit is posted.
- It shall be unlawful to park any trailer, including but not limited to a livestock, utility or car trailer, which is not hooked to a towing vehicle on a public street, alley or sidewalk within the residential areas of the village with the exception that campers and recreational vehicles may be parked on public streets for no more than 24 consecutive hours.
- It shall be unlawful to park a vehicle which is larger than a dual-wheel pickup on a public street, alley or sidewalk within the residential areas of the village for more than one hour.
(Neb. Rev. Stat. §60-680) (Am. Ord. No. 360, 4/16/07)
Beginning as early as 1915 or perhaps earlier, some of the citizens of Oxford talked about paving the streets. Even then it was a good topic for discussion. As time passed the idea seemed to pick up a little more support, year by year. The proponents of the idea were sure the village was headed for a complete de-population if a paving program was not initiated at once while the opponents of the idea were even more certain that the cost and resultant taxes would drive our citizens away because of high taxes.
Thus the matter continued, year after year, until October 22, 1925 when the Board of Trustees met in a special session with Engineers Bruce & Grupe to openly discuss paving some of the streets in Oxford.
About a month later the Trustees adopted Ordinance 44 that provided for paving, guttering, curbing and grading in District No. 1. To some that gave cause for jubilation and to other sit was like a red flag.
Approximately three weeks later a petition was presented to the Board that had been signed by several property owners on Ogden Avenue that was intended to test sentiment in regard to paving the streets of Oxford. The Board decided to defer any action until investigation could be made regarding other town’s experience relative to pavement. This closed out the year 1925.
In October of 1926, the Board decided to do some curbing along streets in the original town side. Subsequent events seems to prove all that was accomplished was to establish a curb line. Thus the matter stood at the close of 1926. In September of 1928 the Trustees decided that certain street improvement was essential so appropriate action was taken; that action being was to gravel these streets.
A year later (1929) a new Ordinance was adopted which provided for the curbing and graveling of District No. 2. Two days later the Trustees adopted a new Ordinance repealing the previous ruling. 1929 passed into history without the controversial pavement.
The matter of paving did not arise in a Trustee meeting until August 29, 1938 when consideration was given to the costs of a bituminous mat for three blocks in the main business section of Oxford. A year later, September 4, 1939we find these minutes: “Petition presented for approval of Village Board signed by all property owners on Ogden Avenue, between South Railway Street and Federal Highway to have the Yant Construction Co. oil mat the street and intersection for the sum of $540.00. Each property owner paying his share of the expense and the intersection costs to be paid from Main Street Maintenance Fund. Cost per each 25 foot lot is $16.50. This motion was passed and approved.
From the birth of the idea about paving streets in Oxford to its partial accomplishments was well over thirty years. (Four Score and Seven Year)
Street Department Head
326 Ogden, Oxford, NE